Hello out there!
It feels nice to be back typing up a blog post. I had a busy past couple of weeks and if I tried to fit any more into them I would have been overwhelmed, so thank you for hanging in there!
In the past couple of weeks, I…
- Got the house all ready for the bachelorette party. (You all knew about that, but it was a big accomplishment for me, so I felt the need to say it again.) That includes: putting up curtains (OK, dad did that), fixing the basement toliet (yeah… Dad again), and all sorts of cleaning (Windexing windows, vacuuming, putting things into piles so it looks like I’m half-organized, etc.) — I can actually say I did clean. :)
- Attended a pole dancing class as a pre-bachelorette party get together.
It was fun, but holy moly — my arms were so sore after this class and for a day or two after. I had no idea it required that much upper body strength. Thankfully, I have other things going for me and I don’t have to up my pole-dancing skills. ;)
- Went to my friend Lia’s bachelorette party. 1 party bus + 5 bars + 13 fun ladies = a fantastic evening. I danced, and I danced, and I danced. It’s good for the soul.
- Designed a wedding program and table reservation signs for Lia’s wedding that’s happening this weekend.
- Participated in Relay for Life. Relay for Life is an event sponsored by the American Cancer Society. It’s a fundraiser, but it’s also a terrific 12-hour event. Between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m., your teammates take turns off and on walking around the track. The exhaustion you feel from walking and being so tired mirrors how a cancer patient feels during treatment. We also get to have fun, though, too. I did Zumba at 1:15 in the morning in the middle of the football field. We got free pizza. We sold s’mores as a fundraiser (which were a HUGE hit). The particular Relay for Life I participated in has raised more than $76,000. That is incredible. We are on our way to kicking cancer’s butt!
My fellow blogger and Texas friend, Lauren, nominated me for the Liebster Award! It’s for bloggers who have fewer than 200 followers. I definitely fall into that category. She nominated me awhile ago (about a week and a half), but said we’re allowed to make our own rules, so I made sure one of rules was I could respond/post about it whenever I had a chance. :) Thanks, Lauren! You need to go check her out over at Method to my Madness! She says y’all in her posts (which makes me smile), she loves her cat, and she declares herself a food enthusiast. David and her husband, Andrew, were high school friends (oh the stories they could tell!) and groomsmen in each other’s weddings. Lauren and I instantly clicked when we met each other. We were both communication majors and we bonded by talking about fonts.
Here’s how it works. After being acknowledged, you should…
- Acknowledge the blog that nominated you in a post.
- Tell 11 facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger created.
- List 11 bloggers with less than 200 followers that you believe deserve some recognition.
- Post 11 questions for them to answer.
- Notify all the bloggers selected that they have been nominated.
- And finally, you can’t nominate the blog who nominated you.
11 Facts About Me
- If I had one wish, it would be to have clear skin. I’ve been struggling with acne for years (since 6th grade or so). I’ve endured comments like, “Did a bird peck on your face?” Kids can be mean.
- I do freelance graphic design work (as you recently found out above). I’ve done all sorts of wedding stationery, including invitations, invitation inserts (hotel information, response postcards, and reception information), and programs. I’ve also designed a handful of moving announcements. I need to create an online portfolio to house all of my work. But at the very least, I should write a post about it, huh?
- I have a really hard time explaining my day job. I’ll give it a go, though — I build interactive online tutorials and create print products for health care students, mainly nursing students. I work for Ascend Learning, but I do a bunch of work for ATI Nursing, one of the businesses underneath the Ascend Learning umbrella. Maybe you’ve heard of us? We’re a pretty big deal in the nursing world. ;)
- I prefer to write notes, ideas, and lists on paper, instead of typing them up electronically. It helps me organize my thoughts better. I even printed out Lauren’s questions.
- I have a purse problem. Some women love makeup. Some love shoes. I love purses.
- I have a really bad habit of comparing my life to others. I need to realize comparison is the death of happiness.
- I don’t keep up with current events. Give me a quiz on pop culture, instead.
- Drinking coffee and reading blogs makes me happy.
- I love the color combination of yellow and gray. As Mimi, my maid of honor, was driving David and I back to the hotel after our wedding, we decided those would be the colors if we ever had another ceremony. Like a renew our vows ceremony or something.
- If you couldn’t tell from reading my posts already, I’m a huge dog person! I always squeal and/or smile when I see one (which I can about a mile away). David even put that in our wedding vows as something he loved about me.
- I have a really hard time saying no to people. I typically put others’ needs before my own. I want to make them happy. I want to be involved in their life. I need to find the right balance between friend time, husband and wife time, and me time. It’ll definitely be a challenge.
- What band or artist should I be listening to right now?
Justin Timberlake, especially his new album. I was super iffy about it at first. I thought all the songs were too long and they all seemed too similar to one another. But then one day, somehow, I realized the album was fantastic and I couldn’t get enough. I highly suggest “Tunnel Vision,” “Don’t Hold the Wall,” and “Blue Ocean Floor,” in addition to the radio hit, “Mirrors.” I should have made this a short answer and said Justin Timberlake. Because he’s amazing. ‘Nuff said.
- What makes you follow a blog or leads you to comment?
I love blogs that are candid, honest, refreshing, relatable, and fun. I only have the courage to comment on friends’ blogs right now. I really enjoy Peanut Butter Fingers and Tales of Me and the Husband, but I haven’t had the guts to comment yet. I feel like I need to get my blog up and running more before I comment and they possibly visit mine. I clearly have insecurity issues.
- Why do you continue to blog?
I’ve written quite a bit off and on over the years. I wrote my own little short stories in middle school. I wrote feature stories in high school and college. But after college, I didn’t really have a writing outlet. Blogging is my way back into writing. I find it therapeutic and fun. There’s a sense of community that comes with blogging. I haven’t experienced it fully yet, but I’ve seen it. Lauren, I’m jealous of your blog meet-ups. I want to find something like that here in Kansas City. It’s comforting to know there are people out there that experience the same things as you do and it’s wonderful they are willing to share.
- What are your three must-haves if you were stuck on a deserted island?
Is Sawyer there? If he’s there, I don’t need anything else. ;) Just kidding. Let’s see… I’d bring a magazine because I love magazines. Most likely I would bring an issue of Backpacker that tells me what berries I could eat and explains some survival techniques. Second item would be a hammock so I wouldn’t have to sleep on the ground. And the third would be shampoo because I hate when my hair is greasy.
- What’s your all-time favorite meal or dining experience?
Golly. I need to stop thinking of food as a means to an end. If I did that, this would be an easier question. How about I answer it like this… My favorite food in general is biscuits and gravy. (They have the BEST biscuits in Charleston, South Carolina.) As for actual favorite meal, I’m going to choose the stuffed chicken breast at Houlihan’s. It’s garlic herb cream cheese stuffed into chicken and it sits on top of garlic mashed potatoes. Yes, the cream cheese runs onto the garlic mashed potatoes. It’s delicious.
- Where’s your favorite vacation spot that you have already visited?
North Carolina. I fell in love with the Great Smoky Mountains. Have you ever felt like you were born in the wrong state? I had that feeling there. David and I’ve toyed with the idea off and on of moving there.
- What’s a side of your personality that isn’t clear by your blog?
I get anxious a lot and I second guess myself quite a bit, sometimes even several times a day. I also go through what I call waves of sadness occasionally.
- How did you end up in the city you live in?
I was born here. I’ve stayed because I have friends and family here.
- How would you spend a perfect day?
I’d sleep in, then go on a short run or a hike with David and Dexter. Go to Starbucks at some point. After that, dinner at Yard House, then see a movie in the theater or rent one and watch it at home. I’m easy to please.
- What is your favorite trait about your favorite person?
David would have to my favorite person. I love that he always makes sure I’m happy. And if I’m not, he figures out what we can do to change that around.
- What’s your drink of choice (alcoholic or nonalcoholic)?
Plain, ol’ regular Coke. Cold, fizzy, and perfect.
Tag! You’re it!
I’m only going to tag bloggers I know (not even 11) because I’m a wimp.
Lindy — She has more than 200 followers, but hey, I’m allowed to make my own rules and she should experience the fun, too. We knew each other in college, but didn’t become really good friends until after college. We’re now so close we go on couple trips together!
Nicole — Nicole and I randomly met at JoAnn’s when I was working there and we found out that we were both going to go to Pitt State. We met up in speech lecture class and have been friends ever since. She does real estate on the side and that’s what her blog is all about! If you want to know anything about houses, she’s your girl.
Mary — We’ve been friends since middle school. We did high school newspaper together. And now we go out and dance and listen to EDM together. Mary, second time I used it! :)
Kelly — She cooks. She does roller derby. And she blogs about it all.
Julie — I met Julie through Lindy. We’ve done Brew to Brew together and a handful of other social events. Remember above when I said I enjoy honest blogs? That’s why I enjoy Julie’s posts.
If you want to play along, here are my questions for you:
- What particular blogs do you like to read?
- Why did you want to start a blog?
- What’s your favorite smell? Cookies? Fresh cut grass? BO? You choose.
- How would you spend a perfect day?
- If you could meet someone famous (dead or alive), who would it be?
- Savory or sweet?
- If someone gave you $1,000, and you only had 48 hours to spend it, and you couldn’t spend it on bills or utilities or practical things, what would you buy? (It can be more than one thing, of course.)
- What is your dream job?
- If you could bring back one TV show that no longer airs, what would it be?
- What’s your favorite time of the day (morning, afternoon, evening)?
- What’s your favorite song?
That’s it for me! Talk to you guys later. Have a good week!